SAP (Systems, Applications and Products) is an enterprise resource planning (ERP) software that was mainly developed by the German company named SAP SE. This technology will help you to track business interactions and customer satisfaction through a single portal. It also helps in data management solutions and the main business functions it provides is in the sector of operations, finances and human resources.
The entire SAP ERP can be divided into two modules- a) Functional Modules and b) Technical Modules. Both these modules are tightly coupled with one another. However, the major SAP modules are discussed below and you can get an idea of how to operate them.
- SAP FI Module: This module is specified for Financial Accounting (FI). One of the widely implement SAP module, FI Module covers all the financial business processes that are an industry can encounter in various situations.
- SAP CO Module: The CO module is specific for controlling (CO) the cost and curbing the unnecessary expense of the company. This module provides information to all the managers and the decision makers regarding the financial transaction of the industry.
- SAP HCM Module: This SAP HCM (Human Capital Management) Module is also known as SAP-HR (Human Resources). They help in the overall management of the company starting with Organizational Management (OM), Personnel Administration (PA) and Time to Payroll functions.
- SAP MM Module: This module controls the Material Management (MM) division. It has several sub-components under it including the Inventory, Purchasing and Master Data.
- SAP QM Module: This module’s major work is to look after Quality Management (QM) through sales, procurement, and production and material management.
- SAP PP Module: This module is specially designed to handle all the Production Planning (PP). It integrates all the departments who are specialised to handle production and manufacturing. The various components of this module are BOM, Data Centre, Work Centre, CRP, etc.
- SAP SD Module: This module deals with Sales and Distribution (SD) department of the industry. The major business processes involved in this module are Selling, Billing and Shipping Product. This module works in tight collaboration with SAP PP and SAP MM. The major sub-modules involved are Sales, Master Data, Pricing, Billing and Credit Management.
There are various layers in the entire SAP system. Each layer is like an application tier which is responsible for executing the entire business logic, checking on client transactions, printing reports and coordinating all the applications together thus giving access to the database.
One such important layer is the SAP GUI. The GUI full form stands for Graphical User Interface. This is an important ERP tool which allows all the SAP users to use multiple software applications with the help of users to use graphical interface and it can run on all the operating systems from Apple, Windows, UNIX and others. Out of all the 3 tiers of SAP, the SAP GUI forms one of the important application tiers. It helps all the users to prevent any internal hacking of the company information through unencrypted communications.
All the modules and the layers function in collaboration with one another to form the architecture of the entire SAP tool. As well all these SAP modules have great career scope and SAP consultant salary in India is also quite good which make sap one of the hottest trends in IT job market.